Team Vertical CQWW CW in C6, 2010


Eleuthera, Bahamas



Team Vertical sets more records this year using n6bt verticals.  

Scores are here:  C6-Scores


A few photos and descriptions are below.


To go to the video clips, click here:  C6-VIDEOS

Operating room before setting up. Fred's taking the photo. R-L: Kenny, Walt and Tom. The circled box on the table is a case of local brew, Kalik, that was invaluable as (3) of them were the 160 deck insulators.

Sunday evening after 48 hours of operating, the competition is over. Kenny is seated at his 40 meter SO2R station. Standing L-R:  Tom, Walt, Fred. Walt's 15 meter single K-3 rig is to the right.

Sometimes we get a bit aggressive in antenna placement in regards to the surf. This pair of Bravo 5K's used on 15 meters looked "safe", until a big tide surge. Tom (in white) and Walt moved them back, out of harm's way.

The western end of the antenna field. The camera is looking towards Europe, with more water visible to the west. The short tower-like structure on the right side is the first (3) sections of the 160 vertical. The remainder of the structure is up on the villa's deck and the two connecting wires can be seen going up the hill. There is a typical pair of full length gull-wing radials, plus many, random wires on the ground, running underneath both the 2el 40 and 2el 20 in front of the 160.
The antenna on the left side is a 2-element Bravo 20 meter mono-band parasitic vertical array aimed to the west.
 The center is a 2-element 40 meter array using full size vertical elements and "BX" (Bravo external) radials, also aimed to the west.

One of the Bravo 40 single-band verticals. These are 8# each.

Walt by the driver element of the 2-element Bravo 5K on 15 meters. At 5# each, this is a powerful 10 pound package that can be put on any band, 20-10.

Looking up at the full 160 vertical: 12' of base, connecting wires to the top 40' on the deck.


Kenny, K2KW operated on 40 meters and is a little above the 40 meter low power World Record and we will see how it comes out after log checking. It is a new North American record. Kenny used a 4-ele 2x2 array with Bravo 40 single-band verticals, a 2-ele using full size verticals and "BX" (Bravo external means: elevated, loaded, tubing) radials, plus a dipole for his SO2R set-up with a pair of Elecraft K-3's.

Fred, KE7X ran 20 meters and surpassed his own North American record. Fred is close to the low power World Record - maybe next year. Fred used an old Team Vertical 4-ele 2x2 array with classic 1/4 wave verticals with wire radials and a 2-ele array with Bravo 20 single-band verticals, plus a dipole for his SO2R set-up with his pair of K-3's.
Tom, N6BT on 160 meters moved past the low power World Record by a significant margin and also holds the QRP 160 World Record. He also holds the 80 meter QRP World Record and Kenny holds the low power 80 meter World Record. I used a Yaesu FT-450 and only the vertical for receiving.
Walt, N6XG was on 15 meters trying out a pair of Bravo 5K's with his K-3. His general comment was that the pile-ups were too big to handle. Besides almost 90 countries, he was even able to work Japan.
The photos below are thumbnails - click on them to download a larger photo.
2el 20 meter 2el 20 meter 20 meter 2x2 with wire radials
40 meter 2x2 using Bravo 40's 2el 40 using old, full height verticals with "BX", offset radials 2el 40 - old, full height verticals with "BX", offset radials
Bravo 40 singleband "BX", offset radial "BX", offset radial
The 160 was my 20 pound  DXpedition vertical, composed of (5) welded sections and telescoping tubing sections for a total height of 53'. It has top radials, (2) full length gull wing radials and is normally base loaded to the desired resonant frequency. The match is a hairpin.
This year, the 160 had to be modified due to high winds that made it challenging, if not impossible, to erect it in its normal configuration. Using typical creativity and the ability to change the configuration, the vertical was put together in (2) segments: 12' of welded sections on the beach and the remaining welded and tubing sections up on the deck. They were connected with a pair of heavy wires at about a 45 angle. After resonating it with the top radials and the (2) gull wing radials, many more random radials were added and the antenna re-adjusted for resonance and match. The matching coil is (3) coils in series, as we didn't have enough wire left to wind a single matching coil. The base of the upper section sits on the deck and is insulated from the deck using (3) Kalik beer bottles (empty, of course).


for more information, send me an e-mail    Tom, N6BT via  e-mail or e-mail 


last update Jun 17, 2011

  N6BT web site, all materials Copyright T. H. Schiller 2010 all rights reserved